Saturday, December 10, 2011

At a crossroads

Blogging has intrigued me for some time now. I like the thought of seeming like an expert on something. I like the thought of someone randomly stumbling across my thoughts, and seeing some sort of advice in my ramblings.

Today I came across a blog I can't stop reading. I have read several posts, and I keep wanting to read more. She has a style that seems to mirror how I think most times.

I found it because I was looking for career advice. I'm at a crossroads in my life. Things aren't bad, but they aren't the way I want them to be either. I feel like I've been busting my ass to get a promotion, and my boss just doesn't see it.

I'm frustrated by this.

Some of the advice I get is to look for another job. I don't want to. I like the company I work for.

I'm trying to develop a business I can do on the side, but I don't want to depart my employer either.

To make a point here, I'll just say that this is the short version of why I found that blog. After reading Penelope's thoughts, I began to wonder how much benefit I'd get from writing my thoughts down. So far it feels like a good thing. Hopefully this is something I can get into on a regular basis. I'll have to work it in somehow.

I picked up lots of tips from Penelope on how to approach my job. Her frankness is awesome. I hope I can pull it off too.

Basically I need to completely rethink my career strategy. I thought that career advancement worked like school. I'd do my assignments and get rewarded accordingly. I realize that is not how the real world is. A job promotion is such a dance. I hate dancing.

So I guess I will make time this weekend to address my life. I need to figure out what is important to me, and make sure everything I do is towards that goal. Then I can determine what to do with my job. That part of my life might get worked on after the holidays.

No comments:

Post a Comment